Being a medical professional means wanting to provide the very best possible care for your patients. Keeping them comfortable and as pain-free as possible are important aspects of why blanket warmers are essential in a medical setting, however, blanket warmers provide even more than comfort. By maintaining normothermia throughout a medical procedure and hospital or clinical stay, medical professionals can enhance clinical outcomes, comply with regulatory agencies, and improve patient satisfaction.
Here are some stats about perioperative hypothermia, a relatively common occurrence in unwarmed surgical patients:
1. Up to 20% of patients experience unintended perioperative hypothermia (UPH) defined as a core temperature below 36°C (96.8°F) perioperatively.
2. 1 liter of room temperature fluid decreases body temperature 0.25°C
3. Core temperature can drop 1.5°C within 30 minutes of anesthesia administration.
4. UPH can increase surgical blood loss by 16%.
5. UPH can increase the incidence of morbid cardiac outcomes by threefold.
6. UPH can lead to a 20% increase in allogeneic transfusion.
7. Hypothermic patients can take 40 minutes longer to recover from surgery.
8. These patients also need 20% longer hospitalization.
Studies show that perioperative hypothermia during surgery can lead to complications including; lengthened hospital stays, surgical site infections, morbidity, and mortality. Pre-warming patients before surgery and continuing warming methods during their procedure can help prevent these serious complications.
NOTE: (Want to see other reasons why Blanket Warmers are so essential for hospitals? See our latest blog post: Importance of Blanket Warmers in Hospitals)
Blanket Warmers from Future Health Concepts, Inc.
FHC offers a full line of top quality customizable single, double or triple warming cabinets with a variety of features and options you can’t beat! Some of our options include Touch Screen Control, Built-in Ethernet, Temperature recorder, and solution baskets. Manufactured of the highest quality all of our warming cabinets undergo stringent testing procedures to assure a long life and accurate temperature settings.
Future Health Concepts understands how vital this equipment is for your hospital or surgery center and guarantees our product with a one-year labor and five-year parts warranty.
Check them out on our webpage, or give us a call at 888-282-8644 and see if we meet your specifications.