It is widely known in the medical community that general anesthetics greatly impair thermoregulation, synchronously reducing the thresholds for vasoconstriction and shivering. While neuraxial anesthesia also impairs central thermoregulatory control, and prevents vasoconstriction and shivering in blocked areas.
That’s why anesthesiologists know the importance of blanket and fluid warmers, especially for surgery. Un-warmed anaesthetized patients become hypothermic, typically by 1–2°C. But by using blanket and fluid warmers you can make the patient more comfortable and safe in and out of surgery.
Consequences of Hypothermia
- Coagulopathy – 1°C of hypothermia significantly increases blood loss by about 20%
- Delayed healing
- Increased risk of wound infection
- Prolonged drug action – vecuronium, atracurium, propofol
- Prolonged recovery and hospital stay
How to Maintain Normothermia
- Pre-warming – pre-warmed patients stay 0.4°C warmer
- Most surgical patients will be hypothermic from passive insulation alone, warmed blankets are much better then non-warmed.
- Fluid warming should be used if being given to patients in large volume (>1L/h). Each liter of room temperature fluid and each unit of blood reduces mean body temperature by 0.25°C in a 150 lb. patient.
- Temperature monitoring is recommended for general anesthesia case over 30 minutes and substantial neuraxial cases.
To see our full line of blanket warming cabinets, visit our webpage.
FHC offers a full line of top quality customizable single, double or triple warming cabinets with a variety of features and options you can’t beat! Some of our options include Touch Screen Control, Built-in Ethernet, Temperature recorder, and solution baskets. Manufactured of the highest quality all of our warming cabinets undergo stringent testing procedures to assure a long life and accurate temperature settings.
Future Health Concepts understands how vital this equipment is for your hospital or surgery center and guarantees our product with a one-year labor and five-year parts warranty.